Local Breast Health Program Awarded Funding from Komen Columbus
Contact: Kelli Koch
CAMBRIDGE, Ohio, April 20, 2011 – Southeastern Med was recently awarded more than $53,000 from the Columbus Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure to fund the medical center’s Power Me Pink program. Southeastern Med was one of 31 breast health programs to receive more than $1.5 million in funding from Komen Columbus.
“Every dollar raised helps save lives in Ohio. Sadly, Ohio still has the fourth highest mortality rate from breast cancer, but we are doing our best to lower that statistic,” said Katie Carter, executive director of Komen Columbus. “Each year we are able to fund more breast health programs with more dollars to make a bigger impact for women in our 30-county service area. This year the majority of our dollars are going to ensure that thousands of underserved and under-insured Ohioans will get screened for breast cancer. Other focuses for our dollars are education and outreach programs and breast cancer treatment and survivor support programs.”
Southeastern Med’s Power Me Pink project provides women who are uninsured and underinsured with breast health education, clinical breast exams, mammograms and additional testing if necessary. The program serves women 35 years and older who earn between 250-300 percent of the poverty level with breast health education and mammograms. The project also reaches women younger than 35 years of age who have a family history of breast cancer.
“We are excited the Komen Foundation continued the Power Me Pink program funding for another year,” said Becky Wheeler, cancer registrar at Southeastern Med. “This is a wonderful opportunity for women in our community who otherwise might not have mammogram testing. Education, as well as knowing your family history, conducting regular self-breast exams, receiving clinical breast exams annually from a health professional, and having regular mammography screening are the best defense in fighting breast cancer.”
The funds that make Southeastern Med’s Power Me Pink program possible are due to the generosity of Komen Columbus supporters – notably the more than 50,000 people who participated in the 2010 Komen Columbus Race for the Cure. Komen Columbus has raised more than $17 million since it began in 1993; 75 percent of that money stays in its 30-county service area and is used to conduct breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs. The other 25 percent goes to Susan G. Komen for the Cure to fund national breast cancer research programs. For more information, please visit www.komencolumbus.org or call the Komen Columbus office at (614) 297-8155.